Accidental drug overdose killed Jeff Lewis

Posted · Add Comment

Former NFL quarterback Jeff Lewis died of an accidental drug overdose in January.

The Charlotte Observer reports that autopsy findings showed he had morphine and Ambien, a sleep aid, in his blood when he died. According to the report, the medical examiner indicated Lewis had a “possible history of prescription medication abuse” that included hydrocodone.

Lewis, 39, died as a result of mixed drug intoxication and had rescently been diagnosed with a heart condition. He spent time with the Carolina Panthers and Denver Broncos in the NFL and was an assistant coach at Northern Arizona, where he starred in college, at the time of his passing.

Follow me on Twitter: @BradBiggs

Brad Biggs covers the Bears for the Chicago Tribune

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>