Former NFL quarterback Jeff Lewis died of an accidental drug overdose in January.
The Charlotte Observer reports that autopsy findings showed he had morphine and Ambien, a sleep aid, in his blood when he died. According to the report, the medical examiner indicated Lewis had a “possible history of prescription medication abuse” that included hydrocodone.
Lewis, 39, died as a result of mixed drug intoxication and had rescently been diagnosed with a heart condition. He spent time with the Carolina Panthers and Denver Broncos in the NFL and was an assistant coach at Northern Arizona, where he starred in college, at the time of his passing.
Follow me on Twitter: @BradBiggs
Brad Biggs covers the Bears for the Chicago Tribune
Check out our partners at TiqIQ for the best deals on all games on the 2014 NFL schedule.
OCT 31 Joel Corry
Will DeMarco Murray set the single season rushing record? Will an 8-8 mark win the NFC South? Let’s take a look.
OCT 31 Seth Schwartz
Despite having scouts at every game, James Harris wasn't a lock to be drafted.
OCT 30 Seth Schwartz
From the NFL to the CFL to the WFL and the USFL, Johnnie Walton's career was one for the ages.