US PRESSWIREPerry Hills and the Terps could move to 3-0 with a win over UConn.
• Maryland is improbably sitting at 2-0, and the Terps can remain undefeated if they can beat UConn next week. Playing Randy Edsall's former team will be a test in patience, because the Huskies play ball-control offense and sound defense. If quarterback Perry Hills can protect the ball as he did last weekend, the Terps could be looking at 3-0. It was a good sign for the team to take care of business this weekend against a Temple squad that embarrassed Edsall's bunch in a 31-point loss last season. Although nearly blowing a 23-point halftime lead Saturday will keep Edsall's foot on the gas pedal this week in practice.
• After its comeback win over Boston College last week, Miami laid an egg against Collin Klein and Kansas State. The fear in Coral Gables was that the youth would be too much to overcome in 2011, especially on defense. And that looks to be the case.
• Washington never made it a game against LSU, falling 41-3 on the road. The Huskies were outrushed 242-26, and Keith Price was harassed all night. Steve Sarkisian needs to continue to build up both of the lines because his squad was overmatched against the Tigers.
• Oregon has serious injury concerns, as senior free safety and veteran leader John Boyett will have season-ending surgery on both knees. Nick Aliotti's defense is often overlooked in Eugene, but it's a unit that became stronger as last season progressed, and losing Boyett is a tough blow. Also keep an eye on the health issues of senior guard Carson York (knee), offensive tackle Kyle Long (leg) and wide receiver Josh Huff (knee). Head coach Chip Kelly has developed depth and loves to utilize tons of players in meaningful practice drills, but that's a lot of injuries for a team that will need to be at full strength to beat USC.
• Iowa offensive coordinator Greg Davis is enduring a rough start in Iowa City. Although he doesn't have great material to work with on his unit, the offense seemed lackluster until late in the loss to Iowa State. Senior quarterback James Vandenberg had no touchdowns and two interceptions, and this offense has scored only one touchdown in its first two games. Davis was known for winning at Texas with a variety of different schemes, with dual-threats and pocket passers as well as downhill and shifty backs. He needs to find some magic soon because Hawkeye fans want to see some more points being scored.
• Cal finally notched a win in 2012, beating FCS squad Southern Utah, but the Golden Bears looked sluggish once again a week after losing the opener to Nevada. Jeff Tedford better get his squad going as the Bears enter Pac-12 play in a league that is deeper than many had anticipated.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or follow me on Twitter at Miller_Dave
Check out our partners at TiqIQ for the best deals on all games on the 2014 NFL schedule.
JUL 21 Jesse Lawrence
Denver leads the list in the secondary market.
JUL 21 Jeff Fedotin
Alouettes have QB on their negotiation list.
JUL 19 Jesse Lawrence
Do the Super Bowl champs' ticket prices reflect their success?