The Big 12 officially released its 2012 football schedule on Tuesday, and the slate includes conference newcomers TCU and West Virginia. It features a 10-team, nine-game, round-robin schedule. And it can be viewed in its entirety HERE.
In the Big 12's release announcing the schedules, the league stated that "dates are subject to change as adjustments are expected" for television purposes. So keep that in mind. TV selections for the first three weeks of the season and special dates are due to the league by July 1.
But, for now, here are some of the schedule's highlights:
• Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will not play on Championship Saturday (December 1). Instead, the Big 12 will roll out Baylor-Oklahoma State, Kansas-West Virginia, Kansas State-Texas and Oklahoma-TCU in order to remain relevant while other major conferences hold league title games across the country.
• TCU will make its Big 12 debut on September 15 against Kansas in Forth Worth. Check out the last five games of the season for the Horned Frogs: at Oklahoma State, at West Virginia, Kansas State, at Texas and Oklahoma. That's a far cry from the Mountain West's weekly competition.
• Texas plays Oklahoma on October 13 in Dallas, which is the final game of a brutal opening to the conference season for Mack Brown: at Oklahoma State, West Virginia and OU. The Longhorns then close with TCU at home and at Kansas State.
• Oklahoma will get both Big 12 newcomers, West Virginia and TCU, on the road. Those contests are part of a tough closing stretch, with a Bedlam home game against Oklahoma State (November 24) squeezed in the middle.
• TCU at Texas is set for November 24, while Baylor will play Texas Tech at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington on the same day. Chip Brown of Orangebloods.com wrote on Twitter that TCU and Texas were both given byes on November 17 possibly because their November 24 matchup will get moved to Thanksgiving, which is November 22.
• Iowa State and Texas Tech are the only Big 12 teams that have conference games for nine consecutive weeks before having the open date on December 1.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or follow me on Twitter at Miller_Dave
Check out our partners at TiqIQ for the best deals on all games on the 2014 NFL schedule.
OCT 20 National Football Post
Our Introduction to Scouting students break down the Wisconsin Running Back
OCT 18 Joel Corry
Seattle shipped the wide receiver to the Jets in a surprising move on Friday.
OCT 14 Jesse Lawrence
Jesse Lawrence of TiqIQ looks at the week's hot tickets