QUOTE: “The success of most things depends upon knowing how long it will take to succeed.” — Charles de Montesquieu
Round one thoughts:
1. I thought the Chiefs did the right thing picking safety Eric Berry, who gives them a playmaker. Today, they can address their line and tight end needs.
2. Seattle has to feel very lucky to have gotten Russell Okung, a left tackle they needed. There was a moment when Seattle was thinking it would need to take Berry, which it would have if either tackle was not there.
3. I had heard from inside the Cleveland building and from other teams that the Browns loved cornerback Kyle Wilson — but they also liked Joe Haden, the player they drafted. Haden will need to prove he can handle the speed of the wideouts, which is the only concern. Also, the Browns were attempting to get into the first round last night but couldn’t pull off a trade. Were they going for Jimmy Clausen or Tim Tebow? Not sure, but they were trying.
4. The Raiders made a good pick in Rolando McClain. Clearly, they’re going to utilize some form of a 3-4 defense with all the linebackers they’ve collected this offseason.
5. I’m sure Jacksonville had its reason for not moving back, especially in light of the fact that both Denver and Miami did, but picking California defensive end Tyson Alualu was surprising. Many teams had him going in the 20s, but for Jacksonville, what matters most is that he’s a good player.
6. Buffalo getting running back C.J. Spiller is a good move, but he’ll struggle to find daylight. The Bills really wanted Tim Tebow and wanted to get into the first round to get him, but Denver beat them to it.
7. The key for the Chargers is not that they took Ryan Mathews too early, but that he plays well. Next year, if he’s a player, no one is going to say they took him too early.
8. I like defensive end Brandon Graham for the Eagles, although I thought they would pick Jason Pierre-Paul, whom I really liked.
9. Speaking of really liking someone, I thought the Jets got great value picking Kyle Wilson at the bottom of the first. His hands and cover skills fit the Jets perfectly.
10. I think Detroit had a very good day, especially getting Jahvid Best at the bottom of the first. If he’s healthy, Best can be one of the most explosive players in the draft.
11. I don’t think the Cowboys will be moving WR Roy Williams, but if a team called and asked about Patrick Crayton, they might have to listen. I’m not saying Crayton is available, but he’s now the fourth wide receiver and makes too much money in that role.
12. Bryan Bulaga slipped because many teams thought he was a right tackle only and maybe a guard. The Packers could use either, so they should be fine with the pick.
13. I like the Jerry Hughes pick by the Colts. He’s explosive and athletic and will fit into their scheme perfectly.
14. Wide receiver Demaryius Thomas is a big-time player, and Denver got a great deal with him at 22. I also like the Tebow pick by Denver because the man who picked him is the man who will coach him — Josh McDaniels. He’ll get Tebow to play and lead the Broncos, plus this will make Kyle Orton a better player.
15. San Francisco fixed the right side of their line with both picks and should be able to get movement off the ball. Mike Iupati is the right guard for their power run scheme.
Looking forward to tonight…
Follow me on Twitter: michaelombardi