QUOTE: “We have lived by the assumption that what was good for us would be good for the world. We have been wrong. We must change our lives, so that it will be possible to live by the contrary assumption that what is good for the world will be good for us. ... We must recover the sense of the majesty of the creation and the ability to be worshipful in its presence. For it is only on the condition of humility and reverence before the world that our species will be able to remain in it.” -- Wendell Berry
Draft night is almost here. What will happen is always a mystery, but here are some of my final thoughts on tonight’s draft, plus things I know and hear:
1. I know Miami wants to move down and Dallas might want to move up — if it can include Marcus Spears or Bobby Carpenter in a deal. Maybe not both, but a combination of players and picks. The Dolphins would like to pick DT Dan Williams if he’s available when they move down.
2. Many people in the NFL believe the draft will start with Washington at the No. 4 pick. No one really has a feel for what the ‘Skins will do, and they can head in a number of different directions. But I keep hearing offensive tackle is not one of the positions they’ll pick — no smoke screen. I have a hunch, and it’s only a hunch, that it might be safety Eric Berry.
4. I hear OT Bryan Bulaga will not be a top-10 pick, but he’s loved in San Francisco at No. 13, and the Packers might be moving up to get him.
6. Someone high ranking in the NFL told me Buffalo will have a quarterback before the first round is over tomorrow. Not sure who it will be but, the Bills will have one.
7. I know that South Florida DE Jason Pierre-Paul is in high demand, and a team picking in the 20s might be moving up to get him.
8. I know that any team willing to trade for Ben Roethlisberger will need to get its owner to sign off on the deal, which limits the trade partners for the Steelers. I would think it would be tough for any team to trade for Big Ben after reading the behavioral report.
More to come during the day.
Follow me on Twitter: michaelombardi
MAY 13 Jeff Fedotin
Former discus star launches football career with 49ers.
MAY 08 Joel Corry
The high-priced right tackle is scheduled to make $7 million this season.