The announcement earlier this week that the Pro Bowl would be played in 2013 was a bit of a reversal, considering that Commissioner Roger Goodell was set to scuttle it altogether.
But New York Jets linebacker Bart Scott, never one to shy away from speaking his mind, says Goodell is out of bounds in trying to get rid of the NFL's all-star game. Goodell's basis, of course, stems from the effort (or lack thereof) by players in the Pro Bowl.
"For him to want to comment the Pro Bowl was before his reign and it will be after his reign," Scott told the New York Post. "It's not up to him, I believe, to cancel the Pro Bowl. It's tradition. It ain't about that. … You can't make someone go out there and blow their knee out. I'm not going to blow a receiver up coming across the middle. It's the offseason. Why? It's an exhibition game. ...What is he talking about? Tell him to get out there and put a jersey on."
Scott went on to say the Pro Bowl is about more than the game, it is about the festivities and the chance to be honored as an all-star and celebrate with family and other players.
"It's a part of the fabric of football," Scott said. "It's a celebration for everyone to enjoy and get their families out. They've earned the right to be an All-Star."
Terry McCormick covers the Titans for TitanInsider.com
MAY 24 Joel Corry
Keep an eye on what happens in Miami between the Dolphins and first round pick Dion Jordan.
MAY 13 Jeff Fedotin
Former discus star launches football career with 49ers.