INDIANAPOLIS— News and notes from day one
• Offensive tackle Tom Compton from South Dakota spoke with me at length discussing his week at the East-West Shrine game and the overall jump in level of competition. He said he’s most comfortable as a run blocker at this stage and is working hard on his balance and hand placement in pass protection, referencing Boise State. DE Tyrone Crawford as the best pass rusher he faced during his week in St. Petersburg.
• Potentially the draft’s top punter prospect is Georgia’s Drew Butler discussed the relationship him and his father Kevin (former NFL kicker) have and how his Dad has been such a big help to him from a technique standpoint.
ICONAdams knows he has some work to do.
• When speaking with Ohio State OT Mike Adams he talked about his areas of needed improvement, mainly being his inconsistency with his technique in pass protection. He highlighted his hand placement as well as his tendency to overset and open up the door inside.
• Georgia OC Ben Jones spoke on the top defensive linemen he faced during his time in the SEC. However, the guy he highlighted the most this year was LSU’s Michael Brockers.
• I had an enjoyable conversation with Southern Methodist’s OL Kelvin Beachum Jr. who talked about his future as a potential guard in the NFL. He said he feels comfortable in both an angle and zone scheme. However, because of his range when asked to get out into the second level he said the coaching staff at SMU liked to use him more in space getting out in front in the screen game and reaching targets downfield.
• Finally, Georgia OL Justin Anderson talked about his time bouncing back and fourth between the offensive and defensive line. He measured in at 6-4, 335 pounds and said he’s capable of playing both tackle and guard in the NFL.
Check out the NFP Draft page here...
JUL 21 Jesse Lawrence
Denver leads the list in the secondary market.
JUL 21 Jeff Fedotin
Alouettes have QB on their negotiation list.
JUL 19 Jesse Lawrence
Do the Super Bowl champs' ticket prices reflect their success?
JUL 17 Jesse Lawrence
The Bears lead the market with the highest average home ticket price.