Indianapolis-- News and notes from the tight end group…
• It was an impressive group of tight ends working out Saturday, but none may have been as impressive as Oklahoma’s James Hanna. The 6-4, 252-pound target ran in the high 4.4 range, posted a 36-inch vertical and a 10-foot-2-inch broad jump. He did looked a bit unnatural at times catching the football, but overall it was an impressive display of athleticism from Hanna.
ICONEgnew ran better than most thought.
• Another impressive physical specimen was Louisiana-Lafayette TE Ladarius Green. Green posted a 40-time in the low 4.5 range with a 34.5-inch vertical. He looked natural getting down the seam and tracking the football during positional drills and for a guy his size he displays a “plus” first step off the line.
• I was a bit puzzled by the 4.6 40 time of Missouri TE Michael Egnew. Egnew is a strider who builds speed as he goes and can be somewhat of a threat down the seam. However, he didn’t look real explosive at the Senior Bowl or on tape and his 4.6 time might a case of a guy who simply doesn’t play as fast as he times. Nevertheless, his workout should only help his stock.
• It wasn’t a great performance from Clemson tight end Dwayne Allen who posted a 40-time of nearly 4.9. Plus, he wasn’t real explosive in either of the jumps and look pretty average as an athlete during positional drills. Now, he is a coordinated pass catcher who can adjust to the football. However, Allen simply isn’t a real dynamic type athlete in any area of the game.
• Another disappointing performance came from UCLA TE Cory Harkey. It wasn’t surprising that the massive 6-4, 260-pound threat ran in the 5.1 range. However, for a guy who is going to make his living as a blocker, his 13 reps on the bench was not an ideal number to hit.
• Finally, Temple’s “do-it-all” threat Evan Rodriguez had a very solid workout. He ran in the 4.5 range, posted an explosive 36-inch vertical and adjusted to the football well throughout positional drills. He’s a guy who can be used in a number of ways on an offense and can be a mismatch guy from either the FB/TE or H-back spots in the NFL.
Check out the NFP Draft page here...
APR 23 Joel Corry
The 49ers have a multitude of options for how to handle the star pass rusher’s contract situation.
APR 22 Jerry Angelo
A former general manager shares the tricks of the trade when it comes to the NFL’s annual selection show.
APR 21 National Football Post
The "Intro to Scouting" graduates' takes on the talented RB prospect.
APR 19 National Football Post
Our latest "Intro to Scouting" graduates break down the LSU star.