6. Undefeated Falcons: Two straight weeks with the Falcons and Matt Ryan getting into position to kick a game winning FG in the final minute. Atlanta got a big play for CB Asante Samuel breaking on the out route vs. QB Carson Palmer and survived three picks from Ryan to get the win over the Raiders. At 6-0, are the Falcons a dominant squad? I don’t see that yet, but they continue to win ball games, are loaded with talent at the offensive skill positions and have a defense that will attack the football. And after six weeks, that’s good enough for the best record in the league.
US PRESSWIREShonn Greene and the Jets ran all over the Colts on Sunday.
7. Shonn Greene rips up the Colts: All you have to do is look at the numbers to figure out the Jets’ offensive game plan in the win over the Colts’ today: 44 rushes for 252-yards. And it starts with Shonn Greene. The New York RB showed a burst today to the second level of the defense that was missing in previous weeks. One-cut, square the pads and finish runs. That was Greene. 32 carries, 161-yards and 3 TDs. Solid numbers for a team that needed to find some sort of identity on offense after the Monday night loss.
8. Lions 4th quarter offense: Maybe the Lions found out they don’t have to line up in empty and spread sets all day (throwing vertical routes down the field to Calvin Johnson) in their OT win over the Eagles. With Johnson (6-135), Detroit can throw the short to intermediate game because of his multiple alignments on the field and there is no reason not to use Mikel Leshoure. The RB had 70-yards on 15 carries and I think the Lions can increase that number to around 20 carries a game. Show some balance, work the middle of the field and move the ball.
9. Jairus Byrd’s overtime INT: I want to talk about the pick by the Buffalo safety to set up the game winning FG over the Cards because I thought QB John Skelton was only reading half of the field here. Arizona was in a 3x1 formation and wanted to hit the inside vertical seam vs. 2-Man (two-deep, man-under). However, the Bills’ FS isn’t threatened by No.1 to the weak side and can break to the middle of the field on throw. Big play in a crucial situation for a Buffalo defense that was embarrassed last week in San Francisco. That’s a good win over the Cardinals.
10. AFC East: The Patriots, Jets, Dolphins and Bills are all sitting at 3-3 after six weeks. No perfect team here. Some good wins and some really questionable losses for each club in the division. Is it too easy to call Brady and the Patriots the favorites? I’m leaning that way, but now I’m really interested in next Sunday’s matchup when the Jets travel to New England.
Follow me on Twitter: @MattBowen41
Check out our partners at TiqIQ for the best deals on all games on the 2014 NFL schedule.
JUL 24 Joel Corry
Offensive tackle Lane Johnson’s mistake will cost him close to $1 million.
JUL 21 Jesse Lawrence
Denver leads the list in the secondary market.
JUL 21 Jeff Fedotin
Alouettes have QB on their negotiation list.