Other matchups to monitor
Oklahoma State at Texas Tech
Wake Forest at Clemson
Texas at Missouri
Ohio State at Purdue
TCU at Boise State
Michigan at Illinois
Miami (FL) at Florida State
Washington at USC
UCLA at Utah
Alabama at Mississippi State
ICONJames Franklin will coach in an historic SEC game against Kentucky.
• When Kentucky and Vanderbilt meet Saturday, it will be the first time in SEC history that two black head coaches will match wits in a football game. While that’s certainly something to celebrate, it’s a shame that it’s taken until 2011 for this to occur. With a win, either Joker Phillips or James Franklin will have his team still alive for a postseason berth.
• Iowa destroyed an undefeated Michigan State team last year in Iowa City, and the Hawkeyes are coming off of a victory over Michigan in which they contained Wolverines star playmaker Denard Robinson. Can the Hawkeyes stay alive in the Legends division race? They control their own destiny, but the Spartans should know what to expect in Iowa City.
NCAA sim result: Iowa 34 - Michigan State 31. Marcus Coker rushes for 199 yards and 2 TDs while Kirk Cousins throws for 387 yards and 3 scores, but the senior also throws 2 picks.
• Cincinnati — not West Virginia — has been the darling of the Big East this fall, and the Bearcats will try to stay unbeaten in league play against the Mountaineers. Dana Holgorsen’s squad has been on the wrong side of upsets all season long. Can they return the favor against Butch Jones and the Bearcats?
• Speaking of the Big East, South Florida and Syracuse match up this week in a game that features two teams with a combined 1-7 conference mark. Not great considering the Bulls jumped out to a 4-0 start, including a win over Notre Dame, and Syracuse embarrassed West Virginia in a Friday night national showcase last month.
• Florida travels to South Carolina this weekend, with Will Muschamp and the Gators attempting to stave off a fifth league loss. The Gamecocks went into The Swamp and clinched the SEC East last season. Can the Gators eliminate South Carolina from the East race this season?
Have a great weekend. Enjoy all the games Saturday, and have a great time watching all of the NFL action on Sunday, including my beloved Detroit Lions going into Soldier Field and once again defeating the Chicago Bears.
Follow me on Twitter at Miller_Dave
Check out the latest college football news under the College Football Report column.
Have a college football question? Feel free to send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
JAN 20 Tony Villiotti
Following Monday's announcement of those declaring for the Draft, a look at the numbers.
JAN 19 Jeff Fedotin
Chiefs' special teams coordinator has unique football mind.
JAN 16 Tony Villiotti
Are certain positions more reliant on early round picks?