Click here for the entire Inside the Playbook series.
Click here for my All-22 breakdown of Victor Cruz’s TD vs. Washington.
Before Eli Manning and Victor Cruz stunned the Redskins on the deep inside seam route this past Sunday, rookie QB Robert Griffin III put Washington ahead on a TD pass to WR Santana Moss vs. Cover 1 pressure.
Let’s use the video replay to breakdown the route, pressure scheme and coverage on RGIII’s TD throw.
Redskins vs. Giants
Personnel: Posse (3WR-1TE-1RB)
Alignment: Doubles “Orange” (2x2 spread)
Route: Smash-Seam (Semi-Hitch)
Defensive Scheme: Nickel Cover 1 pressure
- The Giants are showing pressure at the snap. Both CBs align in a press-look with the SS and nickel back walked up to the line of scrimmage. Outside leverage positions to funnel the receivers to middle of the field help (FS Antrel Rolle). A 6-Man pressure scheme.
- The route concept to the open (weak) side of the formation is your base Smash-Seam (part of the Semi-Series). No.1, Leonard Hankerson, will take an outside release, work up the field and break back on the Smash (or hitch). Inside, the No.2 (Moss) wins on the outside release and stems vertically on the seam.
- With Moss creating separation down the field, this is the ball placement you want from RGIII. Read pressure at the line, target an inside route and put this throw on the up field shoulder for the WR to make the play.
- Go back to the release from Moss. Giants’ CB Jayron Hosley is beat because of his footwork and leverage. With FS help to the middle of the field, Hosley has to force an inside stem from Moss. Mirror the release and use your hands. Instead, the CB gives Moss a free release to the outside and this turns into a foot race. Don’t “open the gate” in press-coverage.
- Where is Rolle? Even with pressure called in the huddle, you can’t assume the blitz will get home. Here, Rolle “squats” in the deep middle of the field and doesn’t have enough depth to play the route. As a Cover 1 safety, you have to impact any deep inside concept and it starts with your depth.
Follow me on Twitter: @MattBowen41
DEC 06 Joel Corry
An inside look at the three NFL teams with the most dead money.
DEC 06 Jason Cole
Are NFL officials overwhelmed more now than they have been in the past?
DEC 03 Erik Oehler
A sneak peak at a documentary chronicling one of the biggest college games ever played.