From the Associated Press:
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Jake Delhomme will remain Carolina’s starting quarterback despite an NFL-high 13 interceptions in six games.
Coach John Fox announced after practice Wednesday that he still thinks Delhomme gives the Panthers “the best chance to win” and won’t bench him for Sunday’s game at Arizona, something he contemplated earlier in the week.
“If he would have went that way, how could I blame him? I mean, let’s be real here, how could I blame him?” Delhomme said. “But I was hoping it would be me. I’m going down swinging. I don’t know any other way to put it.”
Delhomme has committed 15 turnovers while throwing only four touchdown passes in Carolina’s 2-4 start. He had three more picks Sunday, leading to 14 points in Buffalo’s 20-9 win.
His latest performance led Fox to waver on Delhomme for the first time since he replaced Rodney Peete as Carolina’s starter early in the 2003 season. But Fox is sticking with Delhomme ahead of backups Matt Moore and A.J. Feeley.
“The 48-hour rule, you go back and you look and there’s no question that we’ve struggled in that area,” Fox said. “Going through and looking at some our mishaps, I don’t think it’s one guy. I still think he gives us the best chance to win.”
The move means Delhomme will start against the team where his miserable stretch began. After leading Carolina to a 12-4 record and NFC South title last season, Delhomme threw five interceptions and lost a fumble in a 33-13 home playoff loss to the Cardinals.
The Panthers gave Delhomme a five-year contract extension in the offseason, but his woes have continued with 18 interceptions in seven games dating to the playoff game. He has a 56.5 passer rating, ranking 32nd in the NFL, leading some to question if he’s lost his confidence.
“Would I sit here and tell you it’s through the roof? I mean, that would be a lie,” Delhomme said. “I still do have a lot of confidence, but it’s frustrating. A couple plays a game are just not … And that’s something you work on, that forget it mentality.”