October 15, 02012
The Detroit Lions delivered bad news this afternoon when the club announced Jahvid Best has not been cleared by doctors to return from concussions he suffered last season, more than a year ago.
Best was eligible to be promoted from the physically unable to perform list today but the Lions did not make that move and now the career of the young running back is in jeopardy.
“Throughout this entire process we always have placed the highest priority on what is best for Jahvid from a health and safety standpoint,” Lions general manager Martin Mayhew said in a statement released by the club, according to Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press. “While today’s decision is disappointing from a football perspective, we fully and entirely respect and support this recommendation.”
Best went through a series of tests last week when he said he would not consider retirement if he was not cleared to return.
“Jahvid will continue to work with our medical and training staffs with the hope that he ultimately will be cleared to return to the playing field,” Mayhew said.
It’s impossible to predict the future but it’s hard to imagine Best being cleared by these doctors in the coming weeks in time to get onto the field with the Lions this season. Hopefully, Best’s brain injuries will not impact him long term.
Follow me on Twitter: @BradBiggs
Brad Biggs covers the Bears for the Chicago Tribune