by Brad Biggs
April 04, 02011
The NFL is changing the way it assesses risk in developing contingency plans for future Super Bowls in the wake of the ice and snow that wreaked havoc on the game in North Texas in February, said Frank Supovitz, the league’s senior vice president of events.
The NFL previously prepared for the “most likely worst-case scenario,” Supovitz said. In other words, ice and snow typically melt within hours in North Texas, so the NFL’s contingency planning took that trend into account. It did not take into account the possibility of a once-every-40-years storm that left ice and snow on the ground all week, he said.
“When you plan a contingency, you plan for the most likely worst-case scenario, not any kind of cataclysmic event that might really stop everything,” Frank Supovitz, the NFL’s senior vice president of events, told Daniel Kaplan of Sports Business Journal. “Now, we have to go a little bit further than just what you expect.
“We have already taken those steps in Indianapolis; we are looking at those [steps] in New York/New Jersey — (two sites) that are in winter locations or locations that can have freezing weather. Obviously we want to make sure if there is something we do not expect for (the) Super Bowl in New Orleans in 2013 that we are prepared for that as well.”
It’s nice to know that now, but sometimes you can’t be prepared to handle what Mother Nature delivers right away. The awful weather that sullied the Super Bowl experience this year was downplayed when Jerry Jones and the NFL managed to foul up thousands of temporary seats inside the stadium.
Follow me on Twitter: @BradBiggs
Brad Biggs covers the Bears for the Chicago Tribune