by National Football Post
February 18, 02011
• The major concern in scouting circles on Villanova OL Ben Ijalana isn’t that he’s making the jump from the I-AA level, but his overall passive demeanor that sticks out on tape at times.
• One guy a lot of scouts have identified to me as the prospect who is most likely to get over drafted is Boise State wide out Titus Young. Saying he could go as early as late one.
• Speaking of vertical threats there is no real consensus on Maryland WR Torrey Smith. Everyone loves his speed, but there are a lot of doubts about him developing into a polished NFL starter.
• I can’t find any NFL scout to tell me they love Colorado OT Nate Solder as a prospect, they all say he’s talented, but no one says they love him.
• The same can be said for Missouri QB Blaine Gabbert, haven’t talked to any scout who had convictions in giving the guy a first round grade.
• The more teams I talk with the less I get the feeling that any top tier offensive tackle prospects are going to make it through the first round. I keep hearing they will be all likely be gone by the time the mid/late 20’s roll around.
• However, there is growing skepticism from some NFL team sources that a couple of the better pass rushers could be where the value falls at the end of the first round.
• One offensive lineman that has a couple of teams interested in the second/third round range is Auburn OT Lee Ziemba. Hearing he’s getting a lot of consideration as a potential starting right tackle in the NFL.
• The hot “developmental” offensive tackle I keep hearing about is Virginia Union’s David Mims. Could possibly come off the board in the same range as Ramon Harewood last season.
• There are growing concerns in draft circles about where Purdue DE Ryan Kerrigan can play in the NFL. He doesn’t look fluid enough to play in space and lacks the anchor to hold up as a down defensive end. Also, a lot of sources have also said he’s a pretty “blah” athlete and isn’t going to test well at the NFL Combine.
• Heard the first Allen Bailey/Vernon Gholston comparison this past week from an NFL scout.
• Talked to a scout earlier in the year that said NFL officials will be turned off by LSU DT Drake Nevis when they finally see how small he is up close.
• Baylor DT Phil Taylor is the one prospect I’m hearing could be the guy who gets drafted a lot higher than most assume. With his combination or size and athleticism paired with the need/lack of 3-4 nose tackles in this year’s draft, hearing it’s possible a team could end up reaching for him in the top-15.
• Finally, every scout I’ve talked with does not think there is any “proof in the pudding” that Nevada QB Colin Kaepernick is a potential first round pick. Citing that there is just too much work to be done. However, I am hearing the second round is a distinct possibility.
Follow me on twitter: @WesBunting