The Broncos got some good news on Monday as receiver Wes Welker returned to practice.

Welker, who suffered his third concussion in the past year during a preseason game against Houston, has been in the NFL's protocol after his latest head injury. There has been some concern as to whether Welker would be able to return in time for Denver's season-opener.

"Obviously, as I said all last week, he's a guy that we'll be cautious with, and our main concern is his safety," Broncos coach John Fox said, via the team's official site.

Fox also noted that Welker is still in the concussion protocol, meaning he has not been cleared for contact yet.

Still, it's a good sign that Welker is close to returning. But even when he does, there will be a lot of concern the next time he takes a shot close to the head area.

Follow me on Twitter: @JasonHButt