Posted · 20 Comments

Suspended for the next calendar year for violating the NFL substance-abuse policy, Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Martavis Bryant issued a statement to National Football Post apologizing for his actions and expressing a desire to play in the NFL again and a plan to file for reinstatement in a year after serving his NFL punishment.

Bryant was suspended for the second time by the NFL for multiple new violations, including missing drug tests, and testing positive for marijuana, following a previous four-game suspension last season for a positive test for marijuana, according to sources.

“I sincerely apologize to the Rooney family, the great Pittsburgh Steelers organization, coach Mike Tomlin, general manager Kevin Colbert, my teammates and all of the outstanding Steelers fans and, of course, my mother and children for what happened,” Bryant said. “I regret that my actions led to this punishment from the NFL and that I won’t be able to play football this year. I’m committed to making this right and realizing my full potential, on and off the field. I will spend this year devoting myself to improvement mentally, physically and spiritually to become the best Martavis Bryant I can be.

“I look forward to resuming my NFL career next year, and I promise to come back strong. Playing in the NFL is a privilege that I respect and my future actions will reflect just how seriously I take this game and the honor that it is to be a part of this league. Please respect my privacy and my family’s privacy during this difficult time. I will have no further comment at this time.”

Bryant had originally planned to appeal the suspension, but decided to accept the suspension, which will span an entire calendar year under NFL rules governing suspended players.

Bryant is one of the top young receivers in the game. He caught 50 passes for 765 yards and six touchdowns last season in 11 games and five starts. As a rookie, the 6-4, 211-pound former Clemson standout caught 26 passes for 549 yards and eight touchdowns.

During a previous four-game suspension stemming from a positive drug test for marijuana, Bryant spent time in Houston working with noted counselor and former NBA coach and player John Lucas.

“We are very disappointed that Martavis Bryant has put himself in this current situation of being suspended by the League,” Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said in a statement last week when Bryant accepted his year-long suspension. “He is at a crossroads of his professional life, and he needs to understand significant changes need to occur in his personal life if he wants to regain his career as a Pittsburgh Steeler. We are hopeful that Martavis will take the necessary steps to develop the discipline in his personal life to become a successful player and a good teammate.”

Follow me on Twitter: @AaronWilson_NFL

Aaron Wilson covers the Texans for The Houston Chronicle.

20 Responses to "Suspended Steelers wide receiver Martavis Bryant: ‘I sincerely apologize, regrets actions,’ wants to resume career’"
  1. God bless you. I truly hope you begin to believe in yourself and your future. You can do it!

2. Darrell Butler says:

You are a gifted athlete,and very lucky for support of the steelers . Don’t do what you think people want to hear! It’s your move??

3. Robert Kelly says:

To my brother first of all pray an keep your head up. They are going to be a lot of people that are going to say some mean ugly nasty things butt ignore it just keep praying believe in God then definitely next of all believe in yourself I’m praying for you my brother because I see the Talent that God has blessed you with look forward to seeing you again.

4. J says:

You can do it.

5. Die hard fan since the 70’s. He’s not going to work out. He’ll get a shot in training camp to get a spot, if he’s reinstated and if he stops smoking. Gogo Sammie Coates! To date Bryant will end up missing 20/48 games with suspension. That’s horrible.

• ugly says:

he is only sorry he got caught, cut him, let him walk, just another street hood

• TheDefense says:

Stop insulting the man. Either you know nothing about the situation or you’re heartless because there are multiple sources that say this guy is dealing with depression. I think this guy has some crystal clear talent, and if he’s not playing for the Steelers then he’ll be a no.1 for another team. So stop calling him street trash and support the guy, and if not then don’t post comments. Martavis, I hope you come back and make these guys eat it.

6. Keith says:

Take time think about it pray on it god will woek it out trust me

7. DW says:

Looking forward to seeing you come back stronger. Ben gives us a legitimate shot at more rings for next 5 years or so. Cant afford to squander any more chances at leaving a positive legacy. See you in latrobe in 2017. We do believe in you!

8. Sco says:

Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. But SIX TIMES he failed a drug test, then I have no compassion for him. Maybe him and Josh Gordon can go hang out and smoke pot and talk about how they pissed their careers away.

9. ugly says:

he is sorry he got caught, cut him, let him walk, just another street hood

10. He is young and made some mistakes. His actions on the field speak for themselves and I know he will only get better. I think he has learned a valuable lesson and will not be going through this or taking the Steelers through this again. Give the guy 1 last chance if he messes up this time then we have to let him go but I believe in him and hope he does not make a liar out of me.

11. J Clovis says:

It’s all who you hang with. MB can either choose his so-called friends who keep supplying him with the weed and the parties or he can drop that crowd cold turkey and become an adult. A man. No choices in between. It’s one or the other.

12. Rick Herman says:

1, Get CLEAN
    2. GET YOUR HEAD STRAIGHT
    3. ASSOCIATE ONLY with the ” CLEAN and STRAIGHT”
    4. BECOME a PITTSBURGH STEELER SUPER STAR and a PERSON OF HONOR
    5. MAKE STEELER NATION and YOUR FAMILY PROUD

13. Terry says:

hold your head up young man and come back stronger we need. at Steeler Nation

14. We have already been here. There was an issue coming out of college at least 4 failed drug tests the rookie here, all kinds off appologies and here we are again. If there are no consequences to their actions kids today don’t learn. I think if the team cared about him, they would cut him.

15. fan says:

don’ tunderstand why he won’t opose suspention could get it cut to 10 games and be strong for playoff run

16. Stencil says:

Martavis spend this year getting
    your mind and body right come back and show all those heartless idiot naysayers that you can get it right and have a hall of fame career ie Chris Carter they doubted him too , you can do it just stick with your suport system!

17. Mr Bryant we all make mistakes when we are young I would advise you to reevaluate your friends a real friend wouldn’t let you throw away a promising future I’m praying for you