2010-11 Bowl Projections
Let’s take a look at what the 2010-11 bowl season could look like — a projection of all 35 postseason games as we enter the third weekend of November.
A few things to keep in mind…
ICONHead coach Chris Petersen and Boise State hope to move up the BCS standings.
• This is a projection, so I have Boise State finishing ahead of TCU in the final BCS standings. Because I have Oregon playing in the BCS title game, the Rose Bowl would have had to fill its open slot (Pac-10 champion) with the highest eligible non-AQ team in the BCS rankings. However, the clause states that if a non-AQ advances to the championship game, Rose Bowl reps are NOT required to invite the next-highest non-AQ. Thus, TCU is NOT required to be placed in the Rose Bowl.
• You will see some teams sitting on five wins — like Notre Dame — placed on this list because I believe that team will get the required sixth win. Speaking of the Irish, they could be placed in any bowl that has an at-large spot to fill.
• This is really bizarre, but the SEC does have the power to have Liberty Bowl officials replace the C-USA champion with the No. 5 Big East team if the SEC does not have enough teams to fill all nine slots. The C-USA champ would then be put in one of the ESPN-owned seven bowl games. However, I am projecting Georgia to beat Georgia Tech, giving the SEC enough bowl-eligible teams.
• Keep in mind that many of the bowls are not obligated to pick teams in precise order of the conference standings. For example, Big 12 No. 3 does not necessarily mean the third-place team in that conference; it means the third choice of Big 12 teams.
Will all 70 spots be filled by bowl-eligible teams?
P.S. I love TCU, but don’t hate me Fort Worth. I think you may be a victim of circumstance…
Jan. 1 Rose: Wisconsin (Big Ten champ) vs. LSU (at-large)
Jan. 1 Fiesta: Nebraska (Big 12 champ) vs. Pittsburgh (Big East champ)
Jan. 3 Orange: Virginia Tech (ACC champ) vs. Oklahoma (at-large)
Jan. 4 Sugar: Auburn (SEC champ) vs. Ohio State (at-large)
Jan. 10 BCS Championship: Oregon (BCS No. 1) vs. Boise State (BCS No. 2)
ICONCould Air Force and QB Tim Jefferson be on their way to the New Mexico Bowl?
Dec. 18 New Mexico: Air Force (MWC) vs. Miami (OH) (WAC*)
Dec. 18 Humanitarian: Fresno State (WAC) vs. Temple (MAC No. 3)
Dec. 18 New Orleans: Florida Int’l (Sun Belt No. 1) vs. Southern Miss (C-USA)
Dec. 21 Beef ‘O’ Brady’s: Tulsa (C-USA) vs. Rutgers (Big East #6)
Dec. 22 Maaco: TCU (MWC No. 1) vs. Notre Dame (Pac-10 No. 6*)
Dec. 23 Poinsettia: San Diego State (MWC No. 2) vs. Navy (Navy)
Dec. 24 Hawaii: Hawaii (WAC) vs. East Carolina (C-USA No. 2)
Dec. 26 Little Caesars: No. Illinois (MAC No. 1) vs. BYU (Big Ten No. 8*)
Dec. 27 Independence: Utah (MWC No. 3) vs. Maryland (ACC No. 7)
Dec. 28 Champs Sports: West Virginia (Big East No. 2) vs. Miami (ACC No. 3)
Dec. 28 Insight: Texas A&M (Big 12 No. 4) vs. Michigan (Big Ten No. 5)
Dec. 29 Military: UTEP (C-USA) vs. Georgia Tech (ACC No. 8)
Dec. 29 Texas: Northwestern (Big Ten No. 6) vs. Kansas State (Big 12 No. 6)
Dec. 29 Alamo: Stanford (Pac-10 No. 2) vs. Missouri (Big 12 No. 3)
Dec. 30 Armed Forces: UCF (C-USA No. 1) vs. Army (MWC or Army)
Dec. 30 Pinstripe: South Florida (Big East No. 4) vs. Texas (Big 12 No. 7)
Dec. 30 Music City: Clemson (ACC No. 6) vs. Georgia (SEC No. 7)
Dec. 30 Holiday: Arizona (Pac-10 No. 3) vs. Baylor (Big 12 No. 5)
Dec. 31 Meineke Car Care: Syracuse (Big East No. 3) vs. UNC (ACC No. 5)
Dec. 31 Sun: NC State (ACC No. 4) vs. Cal (Pac-10 No. 4)
Dec. 31 Liberty: Kentucky (SEC No. 8) vs. Connecticut (Big East No. 5)
ICONMississippi State and RB Vick Ballard have had a productive season on the ground.
Dec. 31 Chick-fil-A: Florida State (ACC No. 2) vs. Mississippi State (SEC No. 5)
Jan. 1 TicketCity: Illinois (Big Ten No. 7) vs. Texas Tech (Big 12 No. 8)
Jan. 1 Capital One: Alabama (SEC No. 2) vs. Michigan State (Big Ten No. 2)
Jan. 1 Outback: Iowa (Big Ten No. 3) vs. South Carolina (SEC)
Jan. 1 Gator: Penn State (Big Ten No. 4) vs. Florida (SEC No. 6)
Jan. 6 GoDaddy.com: Ohio (MAC No. 2) vs. Troy (Sun Belt No. 2)
Jan. 7 Cotton: Oklahoma State (Big 12 No. 2) vs. Arkansas (SEC)
Jan. 8 BBVA Compass: SMU (C-USA) vs. Tennessee (SEC No. 9)
Jan. 9 Kraft Fight Hunger: Boston College (Pac-10 No. 6*) vs. Nevada (WAC)
* — replacement team for a conference without enough eligible teams.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or follow me on Twitter at Miller_Dave