Saturday NFL Draft notebook
Click here for my 1st round notes
Click here for my 2nd and 3rd round notes
A quick look at some of today’s moves in the NFL Draft…
- Brandon Boykin is a steal in the 4th round to Philly. Every NFL secondary needs depth at the CB position to line up vs. three and four wide receiver sets. Expect Boykin to play an immediate role on special teams and to get a look in the sub packages.
ICONMarvin Jones was the top route runner at the Senior Bowl.
- The Bengals made some solid picks throughout the first two days and that continued with WR Marvin Jones out of Cal in the 5th round. He was the most developed route runner I saw at the Senior Bowl. Real smooth in his release, stem and break.
- The Browns needed to add some playmakers at the WR position much earlier in the draft; however, the move to take Travis Benjamin off the board in the 4th round is interesting. If Cleveland can use Benjamin inside of the numbers, out of the backfield and in various pre-snap alignments, they can get some production here. A lot of speed and change of direction skills with the Miami product.
- Why did Bobbie Massie slide? The former Ole Miss OT was graded higher than a 4th round pick. If the Cardinals can work with his development and technique, this could turn out to be a solid selection.
- Some late moves to grab safeties. Boise State’s George Iloka to the Bengals, Michigan State’s Trent Robinson to the Niners and Oklahoma State’s Markelle Martin to the Titans. I thought all three would come off the board earlier.
- Green Bay and New England are serious about the defensive side of the ball. That was the plan in the first three rounds of the draft and we saw more of it today. Nothing wrong with loading up on young defensive talent to create competition and to put some vets on alert.
- When I think of Wisconsin WR Nick Toon in New Orleans, I look at the inside vertical seam and the multiple route combinations run from the slot position in the Saints offensive scheme. New Orleans will use a variety of offensive sets, and Toon is a nice pick up in the 4th.
- I can see that Mike Shanahan is overhauling the entire depth chart at the QB position. First, it was RGIII as the No.2 overall pick and today Kirk Cousins. Did anyone expect the MSU QB to land in Washington after Thursday night? I know I didn’t. Surprise move from my perspective.
- Both Miami’s Tommy Streeter (Ravens) and Iowa’s Marvin McNutt (Eagles) slid a bit because of their speed on tape. However, with any WR that has size and length, think of inside breaking routes and the quick 3-step game.
- Can Baylor RB Terrance Ganaway find a role in the rotation for the Jets? This a 240-pound RB we are looking at.
- Some advice for any skill player drafted late today: take a serious approach to special teams. That was my ticket to stick as a rookie and it gives the coaching staff a reason to keep you on the opening day roster. Make some plays covering kicks this August when the pre-season starts. It will earn you a job in the NFL.
Follow me on Twitter: @MattBowen41