Week 12 early game notes
Let’s go around the league now that all of the early kickoffs have gone final and check out my game notes...
ICONSanchez threw 4 TDs in the Jets' 28-24 win over the Bills.
- Jets’ QB Mark Sanchez made the throws in the red zone. Sure, we can go back to the INT he threw into coverage when the Jets were backed up, but we have to talk about the win and the 4 TDs. And on the TD pass to Santonio Holmes (that proved to be the winning score), Sanchez extended the play, broke contain and allowed his WR to work back to the ball.
- More injuries for the Texans at the QB position. Matt Leinart left the game with a shoulder injury when he was playing good football. Enter rookie T.J. Yates. Give the Texans (and their No.1 ranked defense) some credit here for winning a divisional game on the road with a rookie at QB. However, it’s hard not to question how far this team can go if Leinart is out for an extended period of time.
- How about the production from Arizona’s Beanie Wells? The Cards’ RB posts over 200-plus yards and a TD in the win today over the Rams. And what stands out from my perspective is the explosive runs, the big plays that create field position. That’s a huge day for Wells and it will lead to a long film review session for that Rams’ defense tomorrow.
- These are the type of numbers you expect Chris Johnson to post every Sunday. C.J. showed patience, vision and hit the hole with speed. And don’t forget about his lateral ability once he gets to the second level of the defense. 190-yards on 23-carries for Johnson.
- A.J. Green continues to impress me. The rookie WR climbs the ladder to make a catch and turns it into a 51-yard gain to set up the winning FG in Cincy's 23-20 win over Cleveland. Three receptions and 110-yards on the day for Green.
- Cardinals’ rookie Patrick Peterson will continue to develop as a pro CB every time he takes the field, but his impact in the punt return game is already at a veteran level. Took his fourth punt back for a score today and showed off his ability to get vertical up the field with legit top end speed.
- Matt Hasselbeck made some questionable throws today, but go back to the TD pass to Damian Williams hat won the game. The Titans’ QB gives ground in the pocket on 4th down. Why? To give his WR time to work the back line of the end zone. Veteran throw.
- The Vikings have multiple issues on both sides of the ball when it comes to personnel, but we can’t deny the talent of WR Percy Harvin on offense or in the return game. Without A.P. in the lineup, Harvin is the only player that is going to impact a defensive game plan.
- Tony Gonzalez can still work over a safety in man-coverage and I am looking for a TE that can run the “Nod” route (quick, double move) in the red zone better than the veteran.
- The Steve Johnson TD celebration to mimic shooting himself in the leg? Bad taste right there and an unprofessional move. The Bills' WR should hear from the league office this week.
Follow me on Twitter: @MattBowen41