49ers cut Ray McDonald following investigation into alleged sexual assault

The San Francisco 49ers cut veteran defensive lineman Ray McDonald hours after police announced that a woman alleged he sexually assaulted her at his home.

"After the recent allegations concerning Ray McDonald, we as an organization have notified him and his agent that he will be terminated, released effective immediately," 49ers general manager Trent Baalke said. "While this organization has a strong belief in due process and has demonstrated that over time, Ray has demonstrated a pattern of poor decision making that has led to multiple distractions that really can no longer be tolerated."

A search warrant was served Tuesday at McDonald's home. The woman told investigators that she had been sexually assaulted.

McDonald was previously accused of domestic violence, but wasn't charged.

Follow me on Twitter: @RavensInsider

Aaron Wilson covers the Ravens for The Baltimore Sun

Aaron Wilson
Aaron Wilson covers the NFL for National Football Post, his second stint at the Post. He has previously written for Pro Football Talk and FOX Sports-Scout. Entering his 13th year covering the Baltimore Ravens, he's a beat writer for The Baltimore Sun. Wilson has also covered the Jacksonville Jaguars and Tennessee Titans.

Upcoming Games

Aug 5th, 8:00 PM

Dallas

Pittsburgh

@

Aug 12th, 7:30 PM

Washington

New England

@

Aug 12th, 7:30 PM

Pittsburgh

Philadelphia

@