Bernard Berrian believes he's getting too much blame
Stop blaming Bernard Berrian for the broken down Minnesota Vikings passing game.
That is the message the veteran wide receiver sent Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star Tribune with the Vikings reeling after an 0-2 start and having the 24th-ranked passing offense in the NFL.
Signed to a huge contract in free agency in 2008, and expected to step forward with Brett Favre’s top target Sidney Rice sidelined for at least the first half of the season following hip surgery, Berrian has done little.
He was practically invisible in the opening loss at New Orleans and did little on Sunday when the Vikings were toppled at home by the Miami Dolphins. Berrian has three receptions for 27 yards so far and he’s facing a whole slew of questions.
Per Zulgad, Berrian said “definitely” too much blame is being given to him from the outside. He said position coaches are not giving him trouble, but declined to say if there were other internal forces weighing on him.
“I don't think (the expectations are) unfair at all," Berrian said before turning elusive like the Vikings can only hope he would be in the open field. "I don't even know how to answer that question. I'm not going to go there. I'm not going to answer that question."
Two passes by Brett Favre that were intended for Berrian were intercepted by Dolphins cornerback Jason Allen. Berrian called him and Rice two different players. The bottom line is that a player who got a $42 million, six-year contract needs to be doing more. Much more.
Berrian never projected as a No. 1 receiver when he was with the Bears, but he was the best they had. He’s got the speed to be an outside vertical threat, but doesn’t excel at a lot of the other stuff. There’s a reason why Favre quickly gravitated to Rice last season. So, stay tuned to see if some of the Vincent Jackson rumors heat up.
Follow me on Twitter: BradBiggs
Click here to win cash today playing fantasy football with the NFP and FanDuel