Biggs: Bucs to proceed slowly with Sears
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are happy to have Arron Sears back in the fold but they are not planning on contributions from him until 2010.
Sears was reinstated Tuesday from the reserve/did not report list after walking away from the franchise back in the spring because of what sources have said are mental health issues.
The plan is to ease him back into the organization and have him focus on getting into shape. The Bucs have a two-week roster exemption before they must decide whether or not to create a space for him on the 53-man roster or place him on what Roy Cummings of the Tampa Tribune said could be any number of reserve lists.
“In my mind it would be wishful thinking to think he can contribute this year,” Tampa Bay general manager Mark Dominik said. “He has to get himself into really good shape, and he has to get himself comfortable with a playbook that he really doesn't know. That's a lot to ask over the last seven weeks of the regular season.”
Sears is not expected to attend positional meetings this week, so getting him up to football speed might take a while. It’s a new offense and the Bucs want to make the right moves with a lineman they believe can be part of their core moving forward. The Bucs brought him in last week for a physical and a visit.
“In talking to him, I got a sense of hunger and desire in him,” Dominik said. “I know he wouldn't be here if he didn't want to be here.’’
It’s a great sign for Sears and the team that he’s anxious to continue his playing career. It sounds like Dominik and the Bucs are heading in the right direction with him.
Follow me at Twitter: BradBiggs