Boldin says he's 'moved on' after comments
By BOB BAUM, AP Sports Writer
TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) Arizona wide receiver Anquan Boldin says he's "moved on" after Sunday's critical comments directed at coach Ken Whisenhunt and his staff.
Boldin said he has no regrets about those comments.
"I said what I had to say and I'm done with it," Boldin said on Wednesday. "For me, it's not even an issue. That was Sunday and I've moved on."The three-time Pro Bowl receiver was held out of Sunday's 41-21 victory at Chicago because of a sprained right ankle and complained afterward that "no one was man enough" to tell him he was inactive.
He said he felt good enough to play and only found out he wasn't when he returned to his locker after warmups and discovered his gear was gone.
Whisenhunt said after the game that he told Boldin he would not be playing shortly after the inactive list was submitted.
The coach did not want to revisit the incident.
"I have no issues with Anquan," Whisenhunt said. "He's a good football player and I'm just glad to see him back out there practicing today."
Boldin was a full participant in practice on Wednesday and Whisenhunt said he expected him to play in Sunday's home game against Seattle.
"My injury's fine. It's not even an injury," Boldin said. "I'm feeling great. I can make every cut without hesitation, so I'm good."
Boldin injured his ankle on Oct. 11 in the Cardinals' 28-21 victory over Houston. He still played in the subsequent games against Seattle and the New York Giants, but took a direct hit on the ankle Nov. 1 in Arizona's home loss to Carolina.
He sat out practice last Wednesday and Thursday but was able to go on a limited basis in last Friday's workout. Whisenhunt said he decided to sit Boldin because of the soft conditions of the turf in Chicago, which he felt could lead to aggravating the ankle injury.
Boldin's post-game criticism was just the latest in a series of issues for the receiver, who remains upset that Arizona has not signed him to a new contract, something he insists management promised to do. He has one more year after this season left on his deal.
Boldin has been plagued by injuries, including the nasty facial fracture that came at the end of last year's loss to the New York Jets. The injury required reconstructive surgery, but he only missed one game.
Boldin also injured a hamstring during a 71-yard touchdown pass play in the first-round playoff victory over Atlanta and sat out the team's second-round win at Carolina.
Then came the NFC championship game, when he had a nationally televised shouting match with then-offensive coordinator Todd Haley on the sidelines because he was not in the game during what turned out to be Arizona's winning touchdown drive. He immediately left that game, not celebrating with his teammates.
Against Carolina this season, Boldin broke Larry Centers' franchise record for career receptions. Afterward, he said the record doesn't mean anything to him.
Despite his off-field attitude, Boldin has played with his usual effort and intensity. No one has accused him of letting his feelings toward the organization affect his performance on the field.
"Anybody who plays football risks injury," Boldin said. "Every play you're out there risking not only injury but your life. That's just football. You have to take the bumps and bruises and get back as quickly as possible, and that's what I try to do whenever I'm injured."
The 29-year-old receiver, in his seventh season with Arizona, disputes the notion that his hard-nosed style makes him more susceptible to injuries, a perception that could affect the Cardinals' or any other team's desire to sign him to the big-money, long-term deal he desires.
"People always have an opinion, no matter how you play the game," he said. "People talked about Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce for sliding on the turf, not taking hits. Guys that do mix it up a little bit, people have a problem with that. You just have to be you. I'm comfortable with who I am. I'm comfortable with the way I play the game, and that won't change."