Developers to gauge Chargers' interest in L.A. move
From the Union-Tribune:
The developers who want to bring professional football back to the Los Angeles area said Tuesday that they'll approach the San Diego Chargers and five other teams in February about moving as early as next season.
Majestic Realty Co. Vice President John Semcken III revealed his intentions at a breakfast gathering of the Orange County Business Industry Association in Costa Mesa. He made headlines more than a year ago with a pronouncement he had “no doubt” that a National Football League team would be playing in Los Angeles in 2009.
On Tuesday, Semcken hadn't lost any of his optimism.
He said the state Senate will help clear a last hurdle for an $800 million, 600-acre stadium project in the city of Industry by Oct. 15 – either via legislation, already passed by the Assembly, to bypass state environmental laws – or by negotiations Senate President Pro Tem Darrell Steinberg arranged last month.
“Come next week, our stadium will be approved,” Semcken said. “Then we'll be able to go out and buy a football team.”