Fan apologizes for Sanchez death threat tweets
A fan has apologized, but the NFL said it is looking into the death threats made on Twitter against benched New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez after his poor performance on Monday night.
The Newark Star-Ledger made contact with the fan, who apologized for the threats, saying he was not serious.
A 25-year-old man going who identified himself to the paper as Brave Grancru tweeted out the following in the wake of the Jets' loss.
Among the tweets he sent out targeting Sanchez included: "DON'T COME TO PRACTICE WEDNESDAY I PROMISE YOU BULLETS EVERYWHERE...@Mark_Sanchez"
He then tweeted, "SANCHEZ BETTER HAVE ARMED SECURITY AT PRACTICE !! YOU THINK IMMA SIT HERE & WATCH THIS BULLS--- ??"
The man tweeted photo of himself wearing a Jets cap, and captioned the photo by saying "TAKE A GOOD LOOK AT YOUR KILLER !! WEDNESDAY NIGHT NIGHT..."
Grancru admitted to drinking during the game and tried to downplay the remarks.
"People get threatened every day on Twitter," Grancru said. "Because it's Mark Sanchez it doesn't make it (any different). If I'm in trouble, everyone should be in trouble, you understand what I'm saying? I apologize, it was wrong my remarks, but they're just Tweets.
"It's not like I'm in a stadium shouting in his face, I'm not going to his house or going to practice. It's just a Tweet. It's my account and I Tweeted something."
True enough, but in the wake of the heightened alert and sensitivity to violence and mental illness given the tragedy of last week, the remarks are at the very least in extremely poor taste. Any sort of threat right now is going to be taken with the utmost seriousness, no matter the intent or the target.
Follow me on Twitter @TerryMc13
Terry McCormick covers the Titans for TitanInsider.com