October 28, 2015 - Aaron Wilson
Giants reach deal with Jason Pierre-Paul to return to play
The New York Giants and defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul reached an accord on an incentive-loaded contract for the remainder of the season. Pierre-Paul is coming off a fireworks accident where he lost a finger. The Giants get a two-game roster exemption for Pierre-Paul. "I'm very excited to be back," Pierre-Paul said in a statement released by the team. "I'm getting ready to do what I have to do. I've been training down in South Florida with my trainer. Every day, I got up at 7:30 and lifted weights. I've been doing what I have to do to stay in football shape." Pierre-Paul was named the Giants' franchise player and was previously due a $14.813 million one-year tender. Then, he lost his right index finger and burned his hand. "We all are excited to see Jason," general manager Jerry Reese said. "He has worked very hard to get himself back into position to join the team and work toward getting on the playing field on Sundays." "It is just good to have Jason back in our building," coach Tom Coughlin said. "You can feel his energy and his desire to overcome what he has had to endure since July. His spirit is undeniable, and he is anxious to get to work with [defensive line coach] Robert Nunn and Spags [defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo], as well as our medical and strength and conditioning people." Pierre-Paul 16.5 sacks in the 2011 season. He finished 2014 with 12.5 sacks. "I'm just here to help the team out," Pierre-Paul said. "I'm blessed to play the game, and I'm excited about the opportunity to play again." Follow me on Twitter: @AaronWilson_NFL Aaron Wilson covers the Texans for The Houston Chronicle.