More draft rumors and rumblings
What we’re hearing from sources across the league with only days to go before the 2010 NFL Draft:
• UCLA tight end Logan Paulsen has received a lot of interest in recent weeks from NFL teams, but more as a potential offensive tackle prospect. Sources I’ve talked to have said there are a number of teams interested in Paulsen and believe he’s a viable late-round option because of the weak tackle class.
• Sources close to the USC program still can’t believe that defensive end Everson Griffen left school early, citing his overall lack of a work ethic. They said he has all the talent you could want in a defensive end prospect, but they don’t see him living up to his potential in the NFL.
• Those same sources speak highly of USC safety Taylor Mays, saying he’s very coachable, isn’t a guy who will ever be out of shape coming into the season and should end up being a much better pro than college player.
• New Hampshire tight end Scott Sicko is getting a lot of buzz as a mid/late-round pick and is said to have caught the eye of the New England Patriots.
• There are mixed feelings about Missouri linebacker Sean Weatherspoon and his gift of gab, which might cost him in the draft. Some sources I’ve talked to love Weatherspoon and think he’s a potential first-round pick. However, another team source said a lot of people don’t care for the linebacker’s chatty attitude, even going so far as to say that he’s been removed from some teams’ draft boards because of it.
• We always talk about the Raiders and their love for speed, but one dark horse I keep hearing is getting a lot of love from the Oakland coaching staff is offensive guard Mike Iupati. Iupati played at Idaho, where head coach Tom Cable once coached, and is said to be under consideration for the eighth overall pick.
• I’m hearing that, despite the Ravens’ need for a tight end, they seem content to target a defender in the first round. And two defenders who have caught their eye are cornerbacks Kyle Wilson and Devin McCourty.
• Also very interested in McCourty are the Philadelphia Eagles, who pick one spot ahead of the Ravens in the first round.
• From sources close to the Texans, I’m hearing they would love to land cornerback Kyle Wilson in the first round but are content to take Fresno State running back Ryan Mathews if Wilson is already off the board.
• Finally, sources have told me that Penn State defensive lineman Jared Odrick isn’t a legitimate option for the Browns in the first round. However, the same source said he can’t see Odrick falling past Pittsburgh, New England or Baltimore.
Follow me on Twitter: WesBunting