Osi Umenyiora doesn't want to be a backup
Raise your hand if you can recall Osi Umenyiora saying he would not be a distraction moving into 2012.
The defensive end for the New York Giants has been disenchanted with his contract situation for some time and is finally entering the final year of the deal that he has wanted the club to re-work. General manager Jerry Reese has indicated the club is open to the possibility of signing Umenyiora to an extension, but apparently there have been no talks to this point.
The problem Umenyiora has right now is he isn’t interested in being a backup, something that could be possible behind Justin Tuck and Jason Pierre-Paul.
“I don't like being a backup, I can tell you that," Umenyiora said, according to the New York Daily News. “It worked for us last year, but I was coming of an injury or whatever. But I see myself as a starter in the NFL. I see myself as a Pro Bowl type player. That's the way I see myself.
“I'm not complaining now,” he said. “I don't like being on the bench. I'm not OK with that."
Apparently, Umenyiora is upset enough that he will not be in attendance Monday when the defending Super Bowl champions open up the voluntary offseason workout program.
“Until (a new contract) happens, it's just talk, I guess," Umenyiora said. "Nothing has happened yet. Hopefully, something will get done, but you never know. Nothing's been done, you understand?
"I'm happy he (Reese) said that, it means a lot to me, honestly," he added. "But we'll see where it goes. It's a business. They're making a business decision. I have to make a decision for myself."
We’ll see if the decisions Umenyiora makes moving forward involve being a distraction. This is rather minor. A new contract would probably solve a lot of issues but the Giants will be factoring his age into the equation. Stay tuned.
Follow me on Twitter: @BradBiggs
Brad Biggs covers the Bears for the Chicago Tribune