Reinfeldt, CJ meeting nets no progress
The face-to-face meeting between the Tennessee Titans and Chris Johnson didn't exactly break the logjam that has festered now for 26 days.
In fact, Titans general manager Mike Reinfeldt put out a statement after the meeting saying that little if any progress had been reached in the talks that took place in Nashville on Wednesday morning.
“We had a meeting today with myself, Vin Marino (Titans VP Football Administration), Chris Johnson and Joel Segal. It was important for us to have a face-to-face meeting so that everyone could have a voice and understand the perspective of the other side,” Reinfeldt said. “I’m not sure there was any progress made, but I do think it was beneficial to meet. We were able to discuss several different elements of a potential contract, but there was no agreement on those topics. I do expect to have another conversation with Joel in the next day or so to discuss things further.”
The sides remain far apart with the Titans having said they are willing to make Johnson the highest-paid running back in NFL history, something that would be greater than the $21 million guaranteed that Carolina gave DeAngelo Williams in a $43 million package at the start of training camp.
Johnson and Segal, who did not immediately return a call, aren't interested in those numbers, given what the market is bearing for upper echelon players like Larry Fitzgerald of Arizona, who got a $120 million, eight-year package with $50 million in guarantees, or Cleveland Browns tackle Joe Thomas, who received a seven-year, $84 million contract extension.
With owner Bud Adams squarely in Reinfeldt's corner and saying that if Johnson wants to hold out in the regular season, then that is his decision, the clock keeps ticking and the situation continues to get murkier.
Terry McCormick covers the Titans for TitanInsider.com