Report: Cardinals could wind up cutting Leinart
Matt Leinart knows what is coming.
So does everyone else.
Ken Whisenhunt hasn’t gotten around to announcing yet that Derek Anderson will be the team’s starting quarterback. We explained here on Sunday how this is a no-brainer. While Leinart was measured with his comments on the issue last week when he was replaced as the starter just for the third preseason game at Chicago, he was more forthright today.
“I feel like I've outplayed the competition, training camp, preseason,” Leinart said, according to Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic. “I think my play speaks about that. For me, this goes beyond the football field.
“The philosophy is you want the best 11 guys to play. I feel like I've proved that with my performance. I don't really know what else I could possibly do, so it probably goes beyond football. For me, I just really want an explanation and I haven't been given one.”
Of course, he could ask the coach for an explanation. But he’s yet to do that. Whisenhunt has previously said there is no timetable for announcing his decision. The team didn’t pull the plug on Leinart before facing the Bears because they were thinking about making a move though. They were making a move and that reality seems to have settled in with Leinart.
“I've done all I can do at this point,” Leinart said. “I can't really worry about anything I can't control. I'll just keep grinding and keep working.”
Somers speculates that the Cardinals might cut bait with Leinart all together if he isn’t the starter, which as we’ve explained, he won’t be. The Cardinals have a pair of rookies in Max Hall and John Skelton and they like both of them as developmental projects. They probably wouldn’t like turning to either one of them as a No. 2 if something happened to Anderson though.
Things sure will get interesting if Leinart is launched. Stay tuned.
Follow me on Twitter: BradBiggs