March 04, 2016 - Aaron Wilson
Source: Colts to cut Andre Johnson
The tenure of wide receiver Andre Johnson with the Indianapolis Colts is coming to an end after one season.
The former Texans Pro Bowl wide receiver has been told he'll be released, one year into a three-year, $21 million contract, according to a league source not authorized to speak publicly.
The presence of young wide receivers like T.Y. Hilton was a factor in the decision along with Johnson's decline in production. He had no 100-yard receiving games last season in 16 games and 14 starts.
Johnson, 34, is due a nonguaranteed $5 million base salary this season and has a $7.5 million salary-cap figure.
Johnson hasn't contemplated retirement, according to his agent, Kennard McGuire.
"Retirement hasn't been discussed," McGuire said during the NFL scouting combine. "Andre is training and preparing for next season."
Johnson caught 41 passes for 503 yards and four touchdowns last season.
Johnson played 13 seasons for the Texans and is a seven-time Pro Bowl selection who's caught 1,053 career passes for 14,100 yards and 68 touchdowns as the all-time leading receiver in franchise history.Johnson's top game last season was during a Thursday night win over the Texans at NRG Stadium, catching six passes for 77 yards and two touchdowns.
Johnson is regarded as the top player in Texans franchise history and a future Hall of Fame candidate. The Texans cut Johnson last year and he promptly joined the Colts.
Whether the former Texans first-round draft pick will relaunch his NFL career with another team remains to be determined.Follow me on Twitter: @AaronWilson_NFL Aaron Wilson covers the Texans for The Houston Chronicle.