Todd Collins says no thanks to Bears
BOURBONNAIS, Ill.—It’s on to the next plan for the Chicago Bears.
They went through one practice on Monday with only two quarterbacks and it looks like they will go through a double today with just two quarterbacks after 15-year veteran Todd Collins turned down the team’s offer to sign a contract for the veteran minimum. NFL.com's Jason La Canfora first reported the news.
The Bears are seeking an arm because Jay Cutler’s backup Caleb Hanie has a sprained AC joint in his right shoulder. Rookie sixth-round draft pick Dan LeFevour is experiencing a rocky training camp and help is needed, even if it is only temporary.
That is what led Collins to turn down the Bears. His feeling was it would only be temporary as the team was not willing to guarantee a portion of his salary or offer a small signing bonus. The 38-year old who spent the previous four seasons with the Washington Redskins didn’t want to come to camp for three weeks and then be sent packing.
Hanie certainly believes he will retain the No. 2 role.
“I’m not worried about losing the No. 2 job,” Hanie said Monday. “I feel like I have done enough to earn that position and what I have is not a season-ending injury, not even half season, not even beginning of the season. I am definitely not worried about losing that position if that’s what people are wondering.”
Now, the Bears will have to move to their fourth option, whoever that might be. They were previously turned down by Trent Green and Damon Huard, players who said they would prefer to remain retired.
Follow me on Twitter: BradBiggs