August 05, 2015 - Dr. David Chao
Arian Foster groin injury: Top 10 questions answered
What is going on with Arian Foster? How does a premiere NFL running back make one cut in the first practice of training camp and end up needing potential surgery? First of all, let me be clear that I have not examined Foster or seen his MRI. As many of you know, I often opine on diagnosis off of injury video. In this case, I have not seen and I am not aware of any available film (maybe HBO will have it when Hard Knocks debuts next week). I am purely going off of limited media reports, history of the player and my two decades of NFL experience as a team physician. I call it “insider knowledge” of professional football sports medicine, but it certainly is not “insider information”. I do know the Texans medical staff well, like I do most of the medical personnel in the league; however, I would not insult a medical professional’s integrity by asking for injury specifics on a player. As a practicing orthopedic surgeon, when I am consulted on a NFL athlete, I no longer tweet or write on his injury as that would be unfair, unethical and against HIPAA rules. Enough of the disclaimers.
- What is Arian Foster's injury?
- Will Arian Foster need groin MUSCLE repair surgery?
- Will Arian Foster need groin TENDON repair surgery?
- Are the early reports of Arian Foster needing groin surgery incorrect?
- What is the most common surgery performed on an adductor?
- Will Arian Foster need surgery of any kind?
- Didn’t Arian Foster have groin issues last season?
- When will Arian Foster return to play?
- Will Arian Foster return to be 100%?
- Didn’t teammate Jadeveon Clowney have surgery on his groin too?