July 13, 2015 - Dr. David Chao
Monday Morning MD: 10 things to know about Jason Pierre-Paul fireworks injury
Much has been said and written about Jason Pierre-Paul and his hand injury over the last week. Unfortunately, much of my initial worry about the severity that I penned last week right after the accident has come true. This column will summarize the top issues surrounding JPP. Most of this information has been tweeted out by me real time and discussed on multiple national radio and print interviews. When the fireworks injury required overnight hospitalization, that was my clue that the injury was worse than originally reported. Even though the Giants have been shut out by JPP to date, team brass along with their top medical staff have already analyzed the situation. The information below will not be news to them. When the Chargers second-round draft pick Terrence Kiel was shot in a carjacking attempt in Houston, I gathered information for the team and had comprehensive discussions with management. The $14.8 million franchise tag offer remains in place, but the $60 million contract has been withdrawn.
- [caption id="" align="alignright" width="300"] What an index finger ray resection would look like[/caption] JPP lost his entire index finger down into the palm
- Worries about additional injury including the thumb
- If only loss is index finger, JPP will return to form
- JPP likely did not disrespect the Giants
- Hospital has a big problem
- Use of alias for JPP might have prevented the leak
- JPP camp did not leak his medical information
- JPP had at least two surgeries
- Beware of phantom pain
- When will JPP be back to play?