Dec 11, 2022; East Rutherford, New Jersey, USA; Philadelphia Eagles tight end Jack Stoll (89) fights off a tackle by New York Giants safety Tony Jefferson (36) during the second half at MetLife Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Vincent Carchietta-USA TODAY Sports

Report: Retired S Tony Jefferson wants to play in ’24

Safety Tony Jefferson wants to come out of retirement and play in 2024, according to Bleacher Report.

Jefferson, 32, last played for the New York Giants in 2022 and announced his retirement in May 2023.

He spent last season as a scouting intern with the Baltimore Ravens, a team with which he spent four seasons.

“Jefferson has stayed in shape, has been training, and wants to play again,” per Tuesday’s report. “He intends to start talking to teams in the near future.”

Undrafted out of Oklahoma in 2013, Jefferson appeared in 113 games (67 starts) with the Arizona Cardinals (2013-16), Ravens (2017-19, 2021), San Francisco 49ers (2021) and Giants (2022). He recorded 492 tackles, 9.5 sacks, eight forced fumbles and four interceptions.

–Field Level Media

Nov 26, 2023; Houston, Texas, USA; Jacksonville Jaguars place kicker Brandon McManus (10) makes a 40 yard field goal against the Houston Texans at NRG Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Thomas Shea-USA TODAY Sports

Two women sue K Brandon McManus, alleging sexual assault

Former Jacksonville Jaguars kicker Brandon McManus has been accused of sexually assaulting two women on a team flight last year.

McManus and the Jaguars are named in a lawsuit by women identified as Jane Doe I and Jane Doe II, filed last Friday in Duval County, where Jacksonville is located.

The women said the Jaguars did not provide a safe environment for staff on the flight, which took the team to London for consecutive games last fall.

They allege McManus of rubbing and grinding against them during the flight. Jane Doe I said McManus tried to kiss her and Jane Doe II said McManus “smirked and walked away” after she confronted him about grinding against her.

McManus and his attorney have yet to respond to the lawsuit, first reported by ESPN. The Jaguars declined to comment about the lawsuit, which is seeking more than $1 million in damages and a jury trial.

McManus was not re-signed by Jacksonville this offseason and has since joined the Washington Commanders on a one-year, $3.6 million contract.

“Earlier today, we were made aware of the civil lawsuit filed on May 24 against Brandon McManus,” the Commanders said in a statement. “We take allegations of this nature very seriously and are looking into the matter. We have been in communication with the League Office and Brandon’s representation, and will reserve further comment at this time.”

McManus, 32, spent the first nine years of his 10-year NFL career with the Denver Broncos and signed with the Jaguars in May 2023.

–Field Level Media

Sep 4, 2016; Austin, TX, USA; The Texas Longhorns logo flag flies during the game between the Texas Longhorns and the Notre Dame Fighting Irish at Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium. Texas won 50-47 in double overtime.

Former Texas standout QB Mike Cotten dies at 84

Former Texas standout Mike Cotten died Saturday after a brief illness, the university announced Sunday. He was 84.

Cotten went 17-4-1 as the starting quarterback between 1959-61 and also played defensive back during his Longhorns’ career.

Cotten guided Texas to a 10-1 record and No. 3 final ranking in 1961. The Longhorns qualified for the Cotton Bowl and beat Ole Miss 12-7 with Cotten named the game’s most outstanding player.

Cotten was inducted into the Texas Athletics Hall of Honor in 1981.

–Field Level Media

Aug 10, 2023; Foxborough, Massachusetts, USA; New England Patriots quarterback Malik Cunningham (16) runs with the ball against the Houston Texans during the second half at Gillette Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Brian Fluharty-USA TODAY Sports

Ravens convert Malik Cunningham from QB to WR

Career quarterback Malik Cunningham’s future with the Baltimore Ravens is at wide receiver, as the team made it official during OTAs the past week.

The Ravens had claimed Cunningham, then a rookie, off the New England Patriots’ practice squad in December 2023. The intention was that he would develop into a backup at QB for fellow Louisville product Lamar Jackson, now a two-time NFL Most Valuable Player award winner.

Cunningham, 25, had played six snaps at QB in one game for New England, which had moved the former undrafted free agent between the practice squad and active roster while trying to settle its quarterback situation.

He took four snaps in one game for Baltimore last season and has yet to throw a pass.

Baltimore’s QB room includes Jackson, 38-year-old journeyman Josh Johnson, sixth-round draft pick Devin Leary and undrafted free agent Emory Jones.

The Ravens’ receiving corps includes veterans Zay Flowers, Rashod Bateman and Nelson Agholor as well as fourth-round pick Devontez Walker.

In five seasons at Louisville from 2018-22, Cunningham threw for 9,664 yards and 70 touchdowns and ran for 3,182 yards and 50 touchdowns. He and Jackson share the school record for most rushing scores.

–Field Level Media

Warren quarterback Madden Iamaleava is under pressure by St. Bonaventure's Jacob Moraga as he fires a pass during the first quarter of the Seraphs' 24-21 win in the CIF-SS Division 3 championship game on Saturday, Nov. 25, 2023, at Ventura High's Larrabee Stadium.

4-star QB Madden Iamaleava commits to UCLA

UCLA is adding four-star quarterback Madden Iamaleava to its 2025 recruiting class.

Iamaleava plays at Warren High School in Downey, Calif., about 30 miles from the UCLA campus, where he threw for 3,626 yards and 43 touchdowns in 13 games in his junior season.

The 247Sports composite ranks him as the No. 11 quarterback in the nation.

Iamaleava told 247Sports that UCLA and offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy had a leg up in his recruiting, despite a late offer from Oregon and offers from programs including Auburn and Washington.

“UCLA was my childhood favorite school,” Iamaleava told the outlet. “I love the new staff and fit the offense really well. Eric Bieniemy recruited me really hard and spent a lot of time with me getting to know me as a person, not just as a QB.

“He’s a great offensive mind and someone I know I can learn a lot from. He’s worked with some great QBs in the past and I think he can help me get to the next level and that’s always the dream.”

The 6-foot-3, 185-pound Iamaleava is the younger brother of Nico Iamaleava, the projected starting quarterback at Tennessee.

–Field Level Media

Ben Davis Giants Mark Zackery (4) tackles Crown Point Bulldogs Larry Ellison (3) on Saturday, Nov. 25, 2023, during the IHSAA Class 6A football state championship game at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis. The Ben Davis Giants lead at the half against the Crown Point Bulldogs, 10-3.

In-state CB Mark Zackery IV commits to Notre Dame

Cornerback Mark Zackery IV committed to Notre Dame’s 2025 class on Saturday, keeping a four-star in-state prospect at home.

Zackery is ranked by the 247Sports composite as the No. 15 cornerback in the class. He plays at Ben Davis High School in Indianapolis.

Zackery told the Indianapolis Star that he was sure of his decision, despite a number of Power Five suitors.

“I was going to wait it out to take official visits just to have that experience,” he said, “but I felt like there was no need for me to go to the other places when I know where my heart is and where I want to be. I know things change and there’s a lot going on with the transfer portal and things like that, but Notre Dame feels like the place for me.”

The 6-foot Zackery played both offense and defense for Ben Davis last season when the school won the Class 6A state championship but projects as a college cornerback. He also plays basketball at Ben Davis and will enroll at Notre Dame in June so that he can have another hoops season.

Will he be a two-sport participant for Notre Dame?

“I’ve been talking to (Notre Dame basketball coach Micah Shrewsberry) about possibly playing basketball, too,” Zackery told the newspaper. “That’s something to take into consideration. But very slowly with that because I know it’s a big load in college. But it’s something to take into consideration because basketball means a lot to me.”

Notre Dame currently has the No. 1 class in the 2025 recruiting cycle, as ranked by 247Sports. The ranking is based on bulk. The Irish have 22 commits while the No. 2 program, Ohio State, has 12, including three five-star prospects.

–Field Level Media

Dec 12, 2022; Glendale, Ariz., USA; Arizona Cardinals center Billy Price (53) prepares for pre-game warm ups before playing against the New England Patriots at State Farm Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Michael Chow-Arizona RepublicNfl Cardinals Patriots 1213 New England Patriots At Arizona Cardinals

Veteran C Billy Price (blood clot) announces retirement

Former first-round draft pick Billy Price announced his retirement from the NFL on Saturday morning due to the potential of complications from a blood clot.

Price, a center, last played in the league with the Arizona Cardinals during the 2022 season.

“In the blink of an eye, everything can be taken away,” Price wrote on Instagram. “On April 24th I had emergency pulmonary embolism surgery to remove a saddle clot that was entering both of my lungs. As a healthy 29 year old, an unprovoked pulmonary embolism with no further medical explanation is terrifying. I am truly thankful to be alive today.

“Unfortunately, I will be retiring from the NFL as the risk of an internal bleed while on blood thinners creates tremendous risk.”

Price played in 69 career games (45 starts) with the Bengals, New York Giants and Cardinals since being selected by Cincinnati with the 21st overall pick of the 2018 NFL Draft out of Ohio State.

With the Buckeyes, he won the Rimington Trophy, which honors the nation’s top center, in 2017.

–Field Level Media

Jan. 29, 2023: Patrick Mahomes raises the Lamar Hunt Trophy while Travis Kelce celebrates after the Kansas City Chiefs' 23-20 win over the Cincinnati Bengals in the AFC championship game at Arrowhead Stadium.

Travis Kelce weighs in on Harrison Butker commencement speech

Kansas City Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce said he doesn’t agree with the “majority” of Harrison Butker’s recent controversial comments but noted that he will not judge his teammate for it.

Butker caused a stir during his 20-minute commencement address on May 11 at Benedictine College, which is a Catholic school in Atchison, Kan. He addressed the female graduates in attendance and spoke against the “diabolical lies” society places on women who emphasize their careers over motherhood.

Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes said on Wednesday that he did not “necessarily agree with” Butker’s comments but noted he was going to “judge him by the character he shows every single day.”

Kelce had a similar take on the matter while speaking Friday on his “New Heights” podcast.

“He’s treated friends and family that I’ve introduced to him with nothing but respect and kindness,” Kelce said of Butker. “And that’s how he treats everyone. When it comes down to his views and what he said (in his) commencement speech, those are his.

“I can’t say I agree with the majority of it or just about any of it outside of just him loving his family and his kids. And I don’t think that I should judge him by his views, especially his religious views, of how to go about life, that’s just not who I am.”

Kelce did not address the part of Butker’s speech in which the kicker quoted a Taylor Swift lyric.

Butker said, “As my teammate’s girlfriend says, ‘familiarity breeds contempt’” — which references Swift’s song “Bejeweled.”

–Field Level Media

The SEC logo in the hallway at the Hilton Sandestin in Destin, Fla. on Tuesday May 31, 2022 at the annual SEC spring meetings.

Report: Power 5, NCAA reach historic agreement to pay players

The SEC and Pac-12 joined the three other power conferences – the Big Ten, ACC and Big 12 – and the NCAA in agreeing on a multi-billion-dollar settlement that would allow schools to directly pay student-athletes for the first time in NCAA history, ESPN reported on Thursday.

“The five autonomy conferences and the NCAA agreeing to settlement terms is an important step in the continuing reform of college sports that will provide benefits to student-athletes and provide clarity in college athletics across all divisions for years to come,” NCAA president Charlie Baker and the five power conference commissioners said in a joint statement Thursday evening.

With the NCAA’s board agreeing to the terms of the settlement — which would also resolve three federal antitrust cases — former college athletes are one step closer to getting over $2.7 billion in back damages over the next decade because of previous restrictions on name, image and likeness (NIL) deals.

Future athletes also would benefit, as the Big 12, Atlantic Coast Conference and Big Ten — three of the defendants in the case — are hoping to put a system in place that would give schools the power to pay them about $20 million per year in permissive revenue sharing.

Such payments wouldn’t start until fall of 2025.

The ACC and Big 12 accepted the terms of the settlement on Tuesday. The Big Ten joined in on Wednesday.

Per the terms of the agreement, athletes won’t be able to sue the NCAA in future antitrust lawsuits and must drop their complaints in three current lawsuits: Carter v. NCAA, Hubbard v. NCAA and House v. NCAA.

Former Colorado football player Alex Fontenot’s lawsuit against the NCAA is not included in this pending settlement. Fontenot’s suit is regarding how the NCAA shares TV revenues with players.

The settlement is not yet official as it requires the approval of U.S. District Judge Claudia Wilken, who is presiding over the three antitrust cases. Also, if players choose to join Fontenot’s lawsuit, the settlement agreed on by the NCAA and Power 5 could be rendered null and void.

–Field Level Media

Dec 31, 2023; Indianapolis, Indiana, USA; Las Vegas Raiders defensive end Maxx Crosby (98) in the first half against the Indianapolis Colts at Lucas Oil Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Trevor Ruszkowski-USA TODAY Sports

Report: Raiders DE Maxx Crosby receiving $6M raise

Maxx Crosby, the Las Vegas Raiders’ star defensive end, will make an additional $6 million next season, ESPN reported on Thursday.

Per the report, the Raiders won’t add any years to his contract and will also move $1.2 million into his contract for the 2025 season.

Crosby, 26, is a three-time Pro Bowl selection who signed a four-year extension with $95 million in new money and more than $53 million guaranteed in March 2022.

A fourth-round pick of the Raiders in 2019, Crosby recorded career highs in sacks (14.5) and tackles for loss (22) in 2023 and was a second-team All-Pro selection for the second time. He was also a second-team All-Pro in 2021.

In his five seasons with the Raiders, Crosby has 52 sacks, 321 tackles, 18 passes defensed, nine forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries and 88 tackles for loss.

Per ESPN Stats & Information, Crosby was due to make $19.01 million, $21.038 million and $21.038 million the next three seasons.

–Field Level Media