Tuesday’s Ohio at Miami (OH) game canceled
Ohio’s annual “Battle of the Bricks” rivalry game was no match for the coronavirus.
Positive COVID-19 tests and subsequent contact tracing within the Ohio University football program forced the Bobcats to cancel Tuesday’s game at Miami (Ohio).
“The decision to cancel the game was based on roster issues due to contact tracing,” Ohio head coach Frank Solich said in a statement released Sunday. “Out of caution, we’ve made the proactive decision to limit our team activities for now. We look forward to getting back on the field soon and competing.”
This is the first game canceled in the Mid-American Conference this season. The MAC began play earlier this month with plans for a six-game, league-only season. The conference declared the game a no contest.
The Bobcats and RedHawks are both 1-1.
The schools have met 96 times since 1908. Miami leads the series, 54-40-2, and has won the last two meetings.
“While we are disappointed for our student-athletes, coaches, fans and alumni that the Battle of the Bricks will not be contested this week, we knew schedule disruptions could be a possibility this season,” Ohio athletic director Julie Cromer said. “The health and safety of our student-athletes remain our number one priority.”
The Bobcats’ next scheduled game is Nov. 28 against Bowling Green. The RedHawks play at Akron the same day.
–Field Level Media