Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes out of concussion protocol
Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes announced Friday he is out of the concussion protocol and ready to start Sunday’s AFC title game against the visiting Buffalo Bills.
“I’ll be able to go out there and be myself,” said Mahomes, who practiced for the third consecutive day on Friday.
The defending Super Bowl champion exited last Sunday’s divisional playoff against the Cleveland Browns in the third quarter and was replaced by Chad Henne, who finished out the 22-17 victory.
Mahomes told reporters Friday he had been evaluated by three doctors this week as he made his way through the concussion protocol.
Mahomes, 25, also said the toe injury that was bothering him against the Browns was “feeling a lot better.”
“The next day was very sore … every day from then has gotten a lot better,” he said. “It wasn’t as bad as it looked and it felt that day and the day after.”
The 2018 league MVP completed 21 of 30 passes for 255 yards and one touchdown against the Browns before sustaining the concussion on a tackle by linebacker Mack Wilson.
Mahomes and the Chiefs defeated the Bills earlier this season. He completed 21 of 26 passes for 225 yards and two touchdowns in a 26-17 victory at Buffalo in Week 6.
–Field Level Media