Jones, Cowboys expect Dalton ‘next week’
Andy Dalton was essentially ruled out of Sunday’s game against the Philadelphia Eagles by Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones.
Jones, in a radio interview with 105.3 FM in Dallas, said Dalton “should be ready to go next week.”
Dalton started the past two games but left the Week 7 loss to the Washington Football Team with a concussion, his first documented head injury in the NFL.
Rookie seventh-round pick Ben DiNucci is preparing to start, head coach Mike McCarthy confirmed Friday morning. Dak Prescott had started 72 games in a row before dislocating his right ankle, in addition to a compound fracture, on Oct. 11.
DiNucci fumbled twice and the Cowboys recovered both in his relief stint after Dalton left last week. He is taking all of the first-team reps in practice.
“Football is football. It’s the game I’ve been playing since I was in seventh grade,” DiNucci said.
Garrett Gilbert is listed as the team’s backup quarterback with Dalton presumed absent.
A sixth-round pick in 2014, the 29-year-old Gilbert is with his seventh NFL team and joined Dallas two weeks ago when the Cowboys signed him away from the Cleveland Browns’ practice squad.
He has six total pass attempts in six NFL seasons.
–Field Level Media