Michael Thomas says Saints trying to damage his rep
All-Pro wide receiver Michael Thomas took to social media Monday morning to accuse the New Orleans Saints of trying to damage his reputation over his ankle injury.
Thomas’ tweet comes two days after a report in The Times-Picayune in New Orleans said Saints’ officials were displeased with Thomas for his decision to elect rehab over surgery until June. Further, Thomas ignored offseason calls from the Saints, who were checking in on his progress with rehab.
As it stands, Thomas is on the physically unable to perform list and is expected to miss the start of the season. The recommended rehab period after surgery is four months.
“They tried to damage your reputation. You saved theirs by not telling your side of the story,” Thomas tweeted.
Saints head coach Sean Payton last month expressed his displeasure with the timing of Thomas’ surgery.
“It’s disappointing and we’ll work through it with the other players that are here. The surgery took place, and obviously we would’ve liked that to have happened earlier than later — and quite honestly it should have,” Payton said.
Thomas injured the ankle in Week 1 of the 2020 season and played in just seven games, finishing with 40 catches for 438 yards and zero touchdowns.
Thomas, 28, is a three-time Pro Bowl selection and two-time All-Pro. He set a single-season record in 2019 with 149 receptions for a league-best 1,725 yards.
Thomas signed a five-year, $96.3 million contract extension in 2019. He is due to earn $12.6 million in 2021 between base salary and a restructured bonus.
–Field Level Media